The holiday season is one of the worst times for the climate crisis. All of excess waste that’s created purchasing items we don’t need and buying food that we won’t consume.
I don’t know about you, but all of the boxes, wrapping paper and unnecessary waste has been weighing heavy on my mind. My family and I have been working hard to lessen our carbon footprint over the last few years, but with the holidays being such a busy time we ordered presents off of Amazon using packaging we didn’t need and honestly, made more waste than normal.
That’s why I created this No Waste Challenge to reset for the New Year. I thought this would be a great thing to share with you, in case you are feeling the same way.
The challenge is super simple and easy to do. Download the free PDF and send it to a friend!
How to Lessen your Carbon Footprint
- Use refillable water bottles(Like this one)
- Get a library card and borrow books
- Say no to free promo items
- Plan meals to avoid food waste
- Eat less meat
- Focus on experiences instead of things
- Carry your own reusable straw.(I like this one)
- Don’t impulse shop
- Re-purpose items you already own instead of throwing them away
- Avoid palm oil
- Use public transportation, bike or carpool
- Always wait for a full load of dishes or clothing before doing them
- Plant a garden
- Use less shampoo, toothpaste, etc.
- Use a bamboo toothbrush (These are the ones my family uses)
- Use bar soap
- Shop local
- Use reusable bags at the grocery store. (Like these)
- Learn the 5 R’s: refuse, reduce, reuse, rot, recycle
- Unplug your devices
- Avoid items with excess packaging
- Drive less
- Line-Dry Your Clothes
- Buy food in bulk
- Turn your lights off
Leave a comment with more tips on how to lessen your carbon footprint and reduce waste.